Buffalo Thorn Lodge
5* Luxury Game Lodge in the Black Rhino Game Reserve
Buffalo Thorn Slide
Buffalo Thorn Lodge at night
Birds Eye view of the Buffalo Thorn Lodge
Buffalo Thorn Lodge - Boma Area
Buffalo Thorn Lodge - Guest Bedroom with King size beds
Find your very own peaceful sanctuary at the heart of the Pilanesberg National Park in Buffalo Thorn Lodge. Situated in the Black Rhino Game Reserve, adjacent to the park, the Buffalo Thorn Lodge is only a short 2-hour drive from Johannesburg and only 30 kilometres away from Sun City.
The Buffalo Thorn lodge is an Exclusive Self Catering Lodge and it is rented out as a whole lodge. This means that you get the entire lodge for yourself. Included in the package is 2 x 2.5 hr Guided game drives per day on a Private Safari Vehicle. Maximum number of guests is 10 including children.
This exclusive private luxury lodge offers you tranquillity and an intimate atmosphere coupled with endless opportunities for big game viewing including lion and predator tours. Explore Africa’s endless beauties throughout the day and indulge yourself in a soothing soak in Buffalo Thorn Lodge’s Jacuzzi bath in the evening. Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, why not try out some of the numerous activities the lodge offers, including quad biking, archery or drumming. Daily morning and afternoon game drives are included in the daily package, and the lodge is fully equipped with air conditioning, en-suite facilities and a private viewing deck.
Browse the tabs below to view more information about the lodge.
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rand • Subject to availability|
|Description||1 Jan 2023 to 31 Dec 2024|
|Entire Lodge Midweek - out of school holidays (Sleeps 10)||
|Entire Lodge Weekends, SA school holidays public holiday (Sleeps 10)||
- The Buffalo Thorn lodge is an Exclusive Self Catering Lodge and it is rented out as a whole lodge.
- This means that you get the entire lodge for yourself.
- Included in the package is 2 x 2.5 hr Guided game drives per day on a Private Safari Vehicle.
- Maximum number of guests is 10 including children.
*Please note a minimum of 2 nights is required at anytime.*
The lodge consists of a main area (kitchen, boma, swimming pool etc.) and 5 alone standing rooms each with a king size bed and en-suite bathroom.Look at our Special Offers for SA Residents under our special offers section!
Self Catering Lodges
All bedrooms or chalets are stand alone units. The 70 square-metre bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms have their own lounge and private deck with sun chairs in which to relax whilst overlooking the African bush.
The units boast a king size bed (or two singles should they be required), a Jacuzzi bath as well as an indoor and outdoor shower.
Units are made up as follows;
- 2 Family units: with a King size bed (or two singles) plus a loft with two single beds (for children).
- 3 Double units with one King size bed (or two singles).
- Camping Cots are available on request
- King-sized bed
- Minibar fridge in each room and filter coffee facilities
- In-room, jet spa bath
- Outside and Indoor shower with exclusive body products
- White cotton bathrobes – full-length
- Air-conditioning, personally adjustable
- Private in-room lounge area
- Private viewing deck, with cushioned loungers and table
Buffalo Thorn Lodge has a wide variety of facilities and services available to make you feel comfortable and at home.
- Child friendly swimming pool
- Heated Jacuzzi with a view
- Bar with fridge and Ice machine
- Dining area
- Open fire barbeque
- Modern gas barbeque
- Director-chair seating around the open fire
- Flat Screen LCD TV
- Home Theatre System
- DSTV (Digital Satellite Television)
- Pool/Snooker Table
- Wine fridge
- Wi-Fi Hotspot
KITCHEN (FULLY EQUIPPED)
- Fully Serviced
- Large fridge and freezer
- Modern 5 burner gas stove with electric oven
- Microwave/Convection Oven
- All cutlery and glassware
- Filter Coffee Machine
- Complimentary coffee and tea
- Bar fridge
- All linen (bath and swimming towels)
- Electronic Safe
- Air conditioning and fan
- Lounge area
- Loungers on private deck
- Hair dryers
**Rate is not per person**
**a minimum of 2 nights stay is required at anytime.*
The lodge consists of a main area (kitchen, boma, swimming pool etc.) and 5 alone standing rooms each with a king size bed and en-suite bathroom.- Thus some of the men will have to share.
- The rent of your own exclusive, ***** 5 star- Self-Catering Game lodge, on Black Rhino Game Reserve in Pilanesberg National Park.
- 2 x 2 and a half hour game drives per night stay
- Daily Fully Serviced by staff
- Tea and coffee in the rooms
- Daily gate fees included
- Food, drinks, snacks, condiments – The lodge is fully self-catering
- Any additional activities such as hot air ballooning, BUSH WALKS and quad biking.
- Staff Gratuities
- Buffalo Thorn Lodge will no longer accept 1 night stays – minimum of 2 nights stays will be required
- No over occupancy will be allowed- Meaning over and above 10 guest( including children)
- Children under 3 will not account as part of the number of 10 but no more than 2 children over and above the group of 10 will be allowed and if this occurs only 10 guests will be allowed on game drive 10 heads = 10 guests
- Any child under the age of 3 as per above will be required to provide birth certificates as proof that child is under 3
- Over occupancy fines are R 4 000 per person per day- This is not governed by the lodge but by the reserve rules and regulations.
- Check in time is 14h30 and check out time is 10h30
- The lodge consists of a main area (kitchen, boma, swimming pool etc.) and 5 alone standing rooms each with a king size bed and en-suite bathroom.
- Children of all ages are welcome at the lodge and on game drive
- On arrival a R 2 000 refundable breakage deposit will be required- by supplying cash
- ANY over occupancy meaning over and above 10 guests (including children) will be liable for an over occupancy fine of R4 000 per person per day
- NO Day visitors are allowed at the lodge
- If you miss your scheduled game drives due to unforeseen circumstances/ late arrival or due to weather you unfortunately forfeit you game drive
- Arrivals after 18:00 pm need to be arranged for and no arrivals permitted after 20:00 pm
- ONLY 10 guests (including children of all ages) allowed on game drive
- Early arrivals and late check-outs will be penalised R 1000.00 per hour
- Fully self-catering lodge- No drinks/snacks or food is supplied
- NO LOUD music is permitted as this is a National Park and nature reserve
All reservations, amendments or cancellations are valid only if advised and accepted in writing.
- Cancellation of booking than 90 days or more prior to arrival - 20% of total booking amount retained
- Cancellation of booking between 60 to 89 days prior to arrival - 30% of total booking amount retained
- Cancellation of booking between 41 to 59 days prior to arrival - 50% of total booking amount retained
- Cancellation of booking less than 40 days prior to arrival - 100% of total booking amount retained.
- A 10% admin fee will be retained for cancellations made after the card has been charged.
- For all bookings made within 30 days of travel Full payment Is required within 48 hours of your booking. This payment can be made via bank transfer or credit card (Master/Visa).
- For all bookings made more than 30 days of travel
- A 50% deposit Is required within 48 hours of your booking and the balance 30 days prior to arrival. This payment can be made via bank transfer or credit card (Master/Visa).
Daily exclusive game drives (safari) are included in your package and can be arranged with your ranger.
- Morning drives include a coffee & rusk stop (rusks provided by guests)
- Afternoon drives include a sundowner stop (drinks & refreshments supplied by guests)
- Two game drives per night stay (morning and afternoon)
SUN CITY ACTIVITIES
Additional activities at the nearby Sun City resort can be arranged at an additional cost by our reservation staff.
To find out more about these activities, please talk to reservations.
- LION PARK TOURS
- BUSH WALKS
- QUAD TRAILS
- BALLOON SAFARIS
- INTERACTIVE GUMBOOT DANCING
Head towards Sun City.
Stay on the R556 and pass the entrance to Sun City on the right.
Continue for 5.11 km to the STOP sign, turn right at the intersection (onto the R565).
Continue on this road for approximately 27 km through a village (beware of potholes) until you see the Black Rhino Game Reserve entrance on the right.
Sign in at the gate and either request a pick up from the gate if you do not want to drive your car on the dirt roads and we will come and collect you or drive directly to the lodge.
A normal sedan car should be able to reach Buffalo Thorn Lodge without a problem.
BLACK RHINO GAME RESERVE IS LOCATED AT (GOOGLE EARTH):
FROM THE BLACK RHINO GAME RESERVE GATE:
Enter the gate (sign in – Buffalo Thorn Lodge is number 20) then drive for 2,9 km along the road until you meet an intersection, turn left.
It is the first road at which you can turn left, after entering the Reserve.
Then continue for 1.47 km until you reach another intersection – turn extreme right then continue for another 470 m, keeping right until you see our lodge.
Turn left into our gate, Stand 20 – Buffalo Thorn Lodge.
BUFFALO THORN LODGE IS LOCATED AT (GOOGLE EARTH):