African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa
4* Luxury Game Lodge in
the Plumari Private Reserve in the Magaliesberg,
African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa is situated on the Plumari Private Reserve in the Magaliesberg, just over an hour from Johannesburg or Pretoria.
The Reserve is set within a pristine wilderness of 6800 hectares with natural African Bushveld and an abundance of flora, fauna, bird and wildlife.
The Main Lodge overlooks
the Elephant Dam and invites guests to take a step back in time while
admiring South African décor pieces dating back to the
1800s. Slipper baths, wash stands, luggage chests, antique Oregon
cupboards and tables are subtly placed within the 4* surrounding, to
emphasize the captivating history of the Magaliesberg area.
African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa has one of
the largest private collections of ox wagons, carts and other animal
drawn vehicles from the period 1800 – 1900. A variety of
stone and iron-age artefacts, items from the SA War and San Bushmen
rock carvings tell the history of the area, which is also known for the
Battle of Nooitgedacht. Examples are available in the Museum and guided
Bush Walks take guests through areas where many stone carvings
(petroglyphs) can be found.
African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa caters for romantic getaways, conferences,
teambuilding initiatives, training courses and weddings in its 48
rooms, the Main Lodge and the Day Visitors Centre.
Nature lovers and birding
enthusiasts will find the experience most rewarding, while stressed
city dwellers will leave feeling rejuvenated and well-rested.
Located in the heart of
the Lodge is the Spa which opens up on to an outdoor pool and private
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rands • Subject to availability•|
|Rates valid from 1 Nov 2023 to 31 Oct 2024|
|Minimum 2 night Stay
All Rates are Dinner. Bed & Brakfast
|Deluxe Room & Garden Cottage - (Sleep max 2) - Weekends||R3 625||R2 175|
|Deluxe Room & Garden Cottage - (Sleep max 2) - Midweek||R3 510||R2 055|
|Standard Rooms, Garden Suites, Executive Rooms - Weekends||R3 385||R1 995|
|Standard Rooms, Garden Suites, Executive Rooms - Midweek||R3 260||R1 875|
These rates are based on our Deluxe Rooms - should they not be available you will be allocated a Standard Room at a 10% discount. Single rates on RQ
|Rates valid from 1 Nov 2023 to 31 Oct 2024|
|Two Night Packages||Per
|DBB & Game Drive||R4 635|
|DBB & Ellie Experience & Full Body Massage||R5 605|
|DBB & Game Drive & Ellie Experience||R5 365|
|DBB & Game Drive & Ellie Experience & Full Body Massage||R6 095|
These rates are based on our Deluxe Rooms - should they not be available you will be allocated a Standard Room at a 10% discount.
Single rates on request
2023 LEISURE PACKAGES/SPECIALS
(15TH DEC – 7TH JAN 2024)
4 Night Stay
Pay full rate for 2 nights, get a 50% discount on your 3rd night and pay only for meals on the 4th night
Rates from R2175 pppn inclusive of dinner & breakfast
Min 2-night stay
R720 pp / R360 per child 5 – 12 / Children under 5 are complimentary
Game Drive on Christmas Day – R350 per person
(FRI 29TH DEC – TUE 2ND JAN 2024)
NEW YEAR WEEKEND
Rates from R2175 pppn inclusive of dinner & breakfast
Min 2-night stay
- This room type can be configured as a twin or king.
The interior of our rooms captures the romance and essence of ‘Africa meets Antique Dutch’ with décor pieces dating back to the 1800s. Slipper baths, wash stands, luggage chests, antique Oregon cupboards and tables are subtly placed within the luxury four-star surrounding.
- This room type can be either semi-detached or standalone.
We have two garden cottages available with views of the beautiful landscaped gardens and swimming pool. Each cottage can accommodate a total of 6 guests sharing in 3 bedrooms (double or twin), each room comes with an en-suite bathroom, some with a shower and some with a bathtub.
Indulge in pure luxury in
our suite, overlooking the dam and mountain range. King size bed, TV,
aircon, bathtub, shower, basin & toilet.
- Please note: bookings for this room are available only on request.
Our garden suites are situated on the other side of the lodge in the beautiful landscaped gardens with views of the swimming pool. Each room can be made up as a double or twin. These rooms are newer and with more modern fittings compared to the rest of the lodge rooms.
The rooms and suites at African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa are conveniently equipped to ensure a comfortable stay in the bushveld. An array of amenities in each unit includes TVs, private patios, king size beds, air-conditioning and WiFi.
- Mini Bar stocked on RQ
- Tea & Coffee Station
- In Room Safe
- DSTV (Limited Channels)
Our guided game viewing drives take place each day in the morning and afternoon, as this is when the animals are most active. You will be accompanied by a skilled ranger and guests can expect to encounter a diverse range of animals and bird species in a short period of time.
Wildlife on the reserve includes the giraffe, eland, brown hyena, sable, hippo, kudu and blue wildebeest, buffalo and rhino. You may also see lion – these are however situated in a separate camp. Some of the smaller creatures you will encounter are aardvarks, porcupine, jackal, warthogs, mongooses and honey badgers.
Cost: R465 pp (Valid until 31 Oct 2023)
|A few nights away in the tranquillity of the African bush affords the ideal opportunity to relax and recharge. At our onsite spa, guests can choose from an array of indulgent treatments in the capable hands of our qualified spa therapists. Tucked away in a quiet corner of the property, the spa complex has four treatment rooms, two mani and pedi stations, an outdoor relaxation area, a private garden and a small pool.||
Nestled in a quiet corner of the property, the spa complex at African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa has four treatment rooms, two mani and pedi stations, an outdoor relaxation area, a private garden and a small pool.
FROM MASSAGES TO MANICURES
Soothe away the stress of modern life and dissolve impurities under the gentle fingers of our experienced spa therapists. We provide an extensive treatment menu which includes various 30, 60 or 90min massages, tailor-made facials, grooming treatments and enticing spa packages. The benefits to both body and spirit will be truly rewarding.
* Regrettably, the Spa does not accommodate children under 12 years of age
SPA ETIQUETTE & GUIDELINES
|Our once-in-a-lifetime elephant experience is a unique
see the mighty African elephant up close. It begins with an educational
talk followed by a “touch and feed” experience with
our two resident rescued elephants. Learn all about African elephants,
both wild and habituated, as you observe and feed these gentle giants.
Closed shoes are recommended and don’t forget your camera!
Cost: R825 pp (Valid until 31 Oct 2023)
SUNDAY LUNCH BUFFET
|Our weekly Sunday lunches are an unforgettable
experience as diners
gaze upon our two resident elephants while feasting on a mouth watering
carvery buffet. The lodge is a short drive from Johannesburg and
Pretoria, making this an idyllic day trip.
As an added experience, guests have the opportunity to purchase a bucket of feed to give to the elephants.
Cost: R385 pp (Valid until 31 Oct 2023)
Feel the wilderness underfoot on a guided bush walk with a trained
ranger over the varying terrains of the reserve. This experience offers
an intimate encounter with nature and wildlife, identifying animal
tracks, dung, insects and birds en route, as well as medicinal and
other plants. Gain a true perspective of the fauna and flora indigenous
to this beautiful area.
Cost: R495pp (Valid until 31 Oct 2023)
|A tour around the highest point of the Magaliesberg
Mountain Range, one
of the oldest Mountain Ranges in the world. This is a hands-on
experience of the geology, ancient stone tool workshop and pecked
engravings where we visit a rain-making site which features a giant
carved statue of a rain bull.
Duration of Tour: 4 hours
Minimum No of Guests: 2
Cost: R695 pp (Valid until 31 Oct 2023)
|One of the most memorable and authentic experiences at
Safari Lodge is the opportunity to discover San rock engravings
(Petroglyphs) between 2000 and 8000 years old! A short guided walk to
the top of a hill near the lodge reveals fascinating images of various
animals carved into flat rocks.
The Magaliesberg is the oldest mountain range on earth and the artists who created these engravings lived and worked in the Magaliesberg Valley between the Stone Age and Iron Age. Our experts will provide a detailed history of the area, pointing out all the interesting spots along the way.
Cost: R385 pp (Valid until 31 Oct 2023)
NOOITGEDACHT BATTLEFIELD TOUR
|Interestingly, the Plumari Private Reserve was the site
of The Battle
of Nooitgedacht in 1900 – the fiercest battle of the
Anglo-Boer War in the Magaliesberg region. Forming part of the guerilla
phase of the war, there were losses to both sides totalling 337 killed,
wounded or captured.
Led by Senior Guide Rob Milne, the 4-hour tour starts in Colonel Legge’s Mounted Infantry campsite just below the cliffs of Magaliesberg mountains, moves up the summit of Nooitgedacht tracing the progress of the Boer Commandos, and ends at the mountains’ highest point, where the British force held first before retreating.
Cost: R695 pp (Valid until 31 Oct 2023)
Sun – Fri / 08h00 – 12h00 / Min 2 pax / No children U12
PLUMARI HERITAGE MUSEUM
|African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa boasts one of
private collections of ox wagons, carts and other animal drawn vehicles
from the period 1800 – 1900. A few are situated throughout
the lodge’s gardens, but most are housed in the onsite
museum. Here, a variety of stone and iron-age artefacts are displayed,
along with a number of relics from the Anglo-Boer War.
Our modern conference centre features 5 well-appointed conference rooms which can be arranged in a variety of configurations, offering convenience and flexibility for corporate get-togethers. The upstairs conference venue opens up onto Azima Restaurant, Enzi Bar and viewing deck, while the ground floor venues have breathtaking views over the Magaliesberg mountain range.
We offer a number of team-building experiences to encourage staff bonding and boost morale during your stay. Options include scheduled guided game drives, hikes to discover our thousand-year-old San rock engravings, spa treatments, battlefield tours, ‘bush braais’ and elephant experiences.
Starting your 24 hour conference on a Monday? Stay over on the Sunday night for free and only pay for your meals. T’s & C’s apply.
Capacity & Seating Chart
|Seating Capacities||Room Dimensions||Area|
|Room Name||U-Shaped||Scool Room||Theatre||Banqiet||Length (M)||Width (M)||M2|
|Akira can be subdivided into three venues depending on requirements|
African Hills Safari Lodge offers a variety of packages to go
with your Wildlife Conference Experience including:
- Spa Treatments
- Game Drives
- Elephant Experiences
- Guided Nature Walks
- Potjiekos competition
- Bush survival Course
This Game Lodge situated on the Plumari Private Game Reserve in Magaliesburg, just over an hour from Johannesburg or Pretoria offers guests a memorable Big 5 wildlife experience within a malaria free environment.
A range of wildlife-based teambuilding experiences makes this venue stand out from the rest, and is within easy reach of both Johannesburg and Pretoria.
African Hills Safari Lodge & Spa caters for meetings, conferences, teambuilding initiatives and training courses in both the main lodge and Day Visitors Centre. Spa relaxation is available to conference delegates after or during a day of meetings, or as a spa voucher reward for later use “While frequenting Askari and hosting a national conference we could not have asked for much more” Michelev892 from Midrand describes her conference experience on Tripadvisor. “From the reception, functions, meals, menus and every staff member encountered, we couldn’t have asked for more. The staff were exemplary.
Can’t wait to come again”.
Plumari Private Game Reserve is set within a pristine wilderness area of over 5000 hectares with natural African bushveld and an abundance of flora, fauna, birdlife and wildlife. Two game drives, each approximately 2 – 2,5 hours in duration, are scheduled daily. An elephant ‘touch and feed’ experience will make your conference unforgettable.
The main lodge, which is in fact the old Bodenstein family farmhouse, overlooks the Elephant Dam and invites guests to take a step back in time while admiring South African décor pieces dating back to the 1800’s. Slipper baths, a coal stove, wash stands, luggage chests, antique Oregon cupboards and tables are subtly placed within the four-star surrounding, to emphasize the captivating history of the Magaliesberg area.
African Hills Safari Lodge has one of the largest private collections of ox wagons, carts and other animal drawn vehicles from the period 1800 to 1900. A variety of items from the Boer War and San Bushmen rock carvings tell the history of the area, which is also known for the nearby Battle of Nooitgedacht. Examples are available in the museum, which is a popular venue for teambuilding or pre-dinner drinks. The Day Visitors Center is abundant with African symbology, rich earthy colours and unique African décor focal points. All conference venues are based at the Day Centre and afford great views of the Magalies mountain range and reserve.
We look forward to hosting you and your team.
- 24 Hour Single R3 570 pp
- 24 Hour Sharing R3 025pp
- Includes meals, tea/coffees, accommodation & conference room & GAME DRIVE
- Day Conference Package R1 025 pp
- Includes lunch, teas/coffees, conference room
Lodge Restaurant & Terrace
Outdoor dining at its finest
Breakfast: 07h00 until 10h00
Lunch: 12h00 until 16h00
Dinner: 19h00 until 21h00
Mix, mingle & enjoy our extensive wine list & signature cocktails
Monday through Sunday: 10h00 until late
|1 December 2022 – 31 October 2023
Venue hire for the Antique Chapel OR Forest Chapel, Azima Restaurant OR Akira Function Venue
|January - April
September - December
September - December
|May - August|
|Saturdays & Public Holidays||Monday - Fridays & Sundays||Monday – Sunday|
|R 45 000||R40 500 Mon - Fri
R36 000 Sun
|Charged at Sunday
|Antique Chapel Min 40 – Max 120 | Bush
Chapel Min 40 – Max 150
Azima Restaurant Min 40 – Max 80 | Akira Function Venue Min 40 – Max 150
Included in the Venue Hire:
- Accommodation (dinner, bed & breakfast) for the bride the night before the wedding
- Accommodation for the groom (Dinner, Bed & Breakfast) the night before the wedding and day use for the day of the wedding.
- Accommodation (bed & breakfast) for the bridal couple on the night of their wedding including a bottle of Sparkling Wine
- Wooden benches
- Wooden table under a gazebo for the minister
- Wooden table for the signing of the register
- Wooden table for the DJ
- Wooden lectern for the minister
- Wooden table with a table cloth for the signing of the register
- Tables and chairs for pre-reception drinks (umbrellas are supplied in summer)
- Welcome drinks:
- - Alcoholic & Non-alcoholic fruit punch in summer
- - Gluhwein OR Sherry in Winter
- Round tables (seating max 10 guests) – 1.8m in diameter & 71cm high
- (In Azima Restaurant, we have long tables seating 12 – 14 guests. Round tables are available depending on number of guests)
- Main table (rectangular) with table cloth (trestle table 180 cm in length x 79 cm wide)
- Tablecloths and napkins
- Wooden or conference chairs
- Lectern for speeches
- Standard cutlery and crockery
- Wine glasses and champagne flutes
- Ice buckets with ice
- Back-up generator
- Full bar service
- Buffet set up with tablecloths (should you choose our buffet option)
- Square or oval cake table with a table cloth
- Gift table with a table cloth
- DJ table with a table cloth
- Duty Manager
- Waiters & barmen for a period of 8 hours, but not beyond 24h00 from the scheduled start time of the ceremony. We provide 1 waiter per table for a plated menu and 1 waiter per two tables for a buffet menu.
- Ample parking
- Set up of tables, chairs, cutlery and crockery (no décor)
- Air-conditioning in Akira Function Venue only
- Dance floor (5m x 5m)
- Use of the venue from 08h00 on the day of the wedding
- The unique opportunity to have your photos taken with the elephants (bridal couple only)
- A spa experience for the bride & groom, the day before the wedding
- Welcome/photo shoot canapés
- Snack platters whilst getting ready are available at R280 per platter
- Accommodation for your guests at a special rate. It is advisable to book well in advance. A 50% deposit will be required to confirm bookings
- Menu selection
- All beverages, except included welcome drinks. You are welcome to bring your own wines and/or champagnes, should it not be available on the African Hills Safari Lodge’s wine list, however this will be subject to a corkage fee of R95 per bottle. Drinks to be supplied by the wedding party must be agreed upon with the Wedding Co-ordinator in advance. No other beverages may be brought on site
- PA System – the PA System and microphone for the ceremony and reception venue are to be supplied and set up by the DJ
- Screen and data projector are available at a rate of R850 for the two. TV, DVD and overhead projector are available at an additional cost
- Overlays/runners and tiebacks may be hired in on your behalf from independent suppliers at a 25% handling fee.
- Candles – no candles are allowed to be placed directly on the table linen
- Printing – menu cards, wine lists, name cards, seating arrangements and table numbers
- Draping, décor & flowers – draping, décor, fairy lights and flowers for the function are not included in the venue hire. All décor must be supplied by independent décor suppliers. All décor must be discussed with the Wedding Co-ordinator to ensure that no damage is done to the venue
- Cake stand/s
- Confetti – only bio-degradable items such as flower petals, oats, bubbles and popcorn may be used as confetti
- First year anniversary – contact us for a special rate
- Rates are per person per night rate and includes breakfast and / or dinner.
- All of the above Rates are subject to change without prior notice.
- All rates include a 15% VAT.
- Askari welcomes children,
- subject to availability of suitable accommodation.
- Maximum 2 children, including babies,
- sharing a bedroom with one or 2 adults are permitted.
Where bedrooms cannot accommodate children sharing with adults, 2 rooms need to be booked in which case the single rate would apply to children’s room.
- Prepayment is refundable if we are notified (by email or fax) within the time period of the commencement of the say as follows:
- One month or more – 100%
- 14 days – 1 month – 50%
- 1 week – 14 days – 25%
- Less than one week – no refund
- All extras are to be settled prior to departure by cash or credit card
- For all bookings made within 30 days of travel
- Full payment Is required within 48 hours of your booking. This payment can be made via bank transfer or credit card (Master/Visa).
- For all bookings made more than 30 days of travel
- A 50% deposit Is required within 24 hours of your booking and the balance 30 days prior to arrival. This payment can be made via bank transfer or credit card (Master/Visa).
Terms & Conditions
Check in time is from 14h00
Check out time is before 11h00 on day of departure
You will be required to sign an indemnity on arrival
Please inform us timeously of any special dietary requirements
NO alcohol is to be brought on to the premises – we do have a bar
Mini-bars are available on request in your room
Situated in the heart of the lodge, the spa complex has fourtreatment rooms with separate men and ladies’ change rooms. The entire spa opens up on to an outdoor relaxation area, private garden and pool. Soothe away the stress of modern life and dissolve impurities, under the gentle fingers of our therapists. The benefits to
Situated in the heart of the lodge, the spa complex has fourtreatment rooms with separate men and ladies’ change rooms. The entire spa opens up on to an outdoor relaxation area, private garden and pool. Soothe away the stress of modern life and dissolve impurities, under the gentle fingers of our therapists. The benefits to body and spirit will be truly rewarding.
Located in the heart of the lodge, the spa complex boasts 4 treatment rooms with a double outdoor shower and a separate men’s and ladies change rooms. The entire spa opens up on outdoor relaxation areas and private gardens.
Our core philosophy of natural health is based on nurture, inspiration and the use of mother Earth’s ingredients, to provide you with the most invigorating treatments imaginable. For centuries, African women have utilized natural herbal concoctions, creams and oils to enhance natural beauty and to maintain health. Found on our reserve the Wild Olive Tree, Artemisia Afra (Wormwood) and Aloe Vera have been well known for centuries for its healing properties. We now combine both ancient and contemporary techniques in a natural manner, designed to bring balance and harmony catering to the needs of every Individual.
Soothe away the stress of modern life and dissolve impurities, under the gentle fingers of our therapists. The benefits to body and spirit will be truly rewarding.
Askari Spa is a proud member of the South African Spa Association and strives to align itself with the principles and guidelines set by the association.
Nothing beats your own private little picnic after a relaxing Spa treatment. Let us spoil you with a picnic basket of your choice set up on the Spa lawn, complete with your own umbrella and picnic blanket. Click on the links below to view the menus and choose your picnic treat:
Indian Head & Scalp (30min) R 505
Relaxing pressure point massage
Khoi Khoi Back (30/60 min) R 505 / R 820
Medium to deep back, neck & shoulder massage
African Touch (60/90 min) R 820 / R1 015
Signature African calabash massage
Rolling Sands (60/90 min) R 820 / R1 015
Medium to deep pressure massage
Ancient Scent (60/90 min) R 820 / R1015
Pre-blended aroma oils
Kalahari Sun (60/90 min) R 820 / R1015
Deep therapeutic massage using heated basalt stones
Bellabaci (6090 min) R 820 / R1015
Ancient cupping therapy
Pre-natal (60min) R 820
Relaxing pre-natal massage
Reflexology (30min) – subject to availability R 545
Stimulating pressure point treatment on the feet
Tailor made facials to suit your skin type
Classic Facials (60min) R 805
Hydrating, Balancing or Detoxing Skin treatment.
Advanced Facials (90min) R 945
Age defying, uplifting and youth enhancing
Eye Slices Treatment R 200
Firming, Anti-aging mask R 135
African Cocoon (60min) R740
A healing wrap to soothe, hydrate and nourish the skin
Desert Glow Body Exfoliation (30min) R 460
A gentle exfoliation to soften, remove dead skin cells, hydrate and nourish.
PACKAGES 1 Nov 2023 - 30 Oct 2024
NDLOVU (1 night Sun – Thu)- R4 670 pp sharing
Includes DBB, 60 min rolling sands massage, 60 min classical facial, 60 min spa pedicure and a game drive OR elephant experience + light lunch
UKULALA (1 night Sun – Thu) – R3 320 pp sharing
(2 nights Fri – Sun) - R5 455 pp sharing
Includes 60 min rolling sands massage, 60 min spa pedicure and a light lunch
Single rates on RQ